ATK Signed Ryan Taylor in replacement of Carl Baker

ISL 2017:ATK Signed Ryan Taylor in replacement of Carl Baker

The Defending Champions of ISL had announced its new signing by this evening. ATK had signed Ryan Taylor in replacement of Carl Baker, who suffered an Achilles Tendon injury during pre-season, has not played a single game for ATK in ISL-4. Ryan Taylor was former Newcastle United Player.

Taylor is a versatile player, able to operate as a full-back or across the midfield. He is also a dead ball specialist, able to effectively take free kicks, long throws, and penalties. Newcastle fans nicknamed him “over-the-wall”, in reference to his free-kick taking abilities.

Taylor made his debut for the England under-21 team in a 2–1 defeat to Austria in a 2006 UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualification match at Elland Road on 7 October 2005. He then played in a 4–1 victory over Poland four days later at Hillsborough. He then featured in both legs of England U21’s qualification play-off defeat to France, before making his final appearance for the under-21s in a 3–1 friendly win over Norway on 28 February 2006.
In Newcastle United

Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear said that he was “over the moon” to signed Taylor, noting that his versatility and experience would make him a useful addition. Taylor said that the “Magpies” were in a relegation fight, and said, “we have to get on and battle”. Taylor played ten matches in the remainder of the 2008–09 season as Newcastle finished one point short of safety. He scored his first goal for the club on 22 August to help secure a 2–0 victory over Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park. He went on to score four goals in 36 appearances – mostly as a substitute – in the 2009–10 season as Newcastle won promotion as champions of the Championship. Taylor lost his first-team place under Chris Hughton’s stewardship at the start of the 2010–11 campaign, though claimed two long-range goals in the League Cup in victories over Accrington Stanley and Chelsea. After a lengthy spell on the sidelines due to an ankle ligament injury picked up in training after colliding with Sol Campbell, Taylor returned to the first-team action against Bolton Wanderers on 26 February and was sent off after a two-footed challenge on Johan Elmander. He ended the 2010–11 campaign with just five league appearances to his name.

On 20 August 2011, he scored from a free-kick in a 1–0 victory over Sunderland in the Tyne-Wear derby at the Stadium of Light. Manager Alan Pardew praised Taylor after the match, saying that “that right foot of his is a fantastic weapon”. Taylor then scored a late equaliser from another free-kick in the 2–1 away win against Scunthorpe United in the second round of the League Cup five days later. He scored the winning goal, a dipping volley from outside the penalty area, against Everton on 5 November; this strike won him Match of the Day’s Goal of the Month competition. He signed a two-year contract extension in March 2012, to keep him at St James’ Park until 2015. He remained a regular first-team player for the remainder of the 2011–12 season, playing 34 times. On 23 August 2012, Taylor scored from a free kick in a Europa League match against Greek team Atromitos. However, he picked up a cruciate knee ligament injury in the return leg seven days later. In April 2013, a repeat of the problem meant that he would be forced to endure another lengthy spell on the sidelines. He flew out to the United States the following month in order to be operated upon by renowned specialist Dr Richard Steadman. Steadman recommended he undergo two bouts of surgery six months apart. During his time out of action, he assisted Peter Beardsley with coaching the under-21 team.

Taylor made his long-awaited return to the first team after 26 months out, starring in the 2–0 League Cup win at Manchester City on 29 October 2014. He described his comeback as “a dream come true” and paid tribute to the staff and fans who helped him during his spell out. On 22 November, however, he left the field in tears after injuring his right knee again in a league match against Queens Park Rangers. Taylor returned to the pitch in February 2015, and after Newcastle avoided relegation, he and Jonás Gutiérrez were released in May. Taylor revealed that Newcastle manager “John Carver rang me and told me the club wasn’t going to offer me a new deal, then he asked me to pass the phone to Jonas, which was unbelievable.

ATK is still suffering to register its maiden victory in this season. Let we wait to see whether the signing of Ryan Taylor will make an impact on their performance.