A-League: Matchweek 8- Round up

0 9

As the 8th round of Hyundai A-League comes to an end, LNTUP accumulates all the matches this round and analyses the position of each and every team in the ladder.


Newcastle Jets vs Melbourne Victory

Newcastle Jets put four goals past 10-man Melbourne Victory. Thursday night’s combustible 4-1 contest brought Victory back to earth after their first win of the season in Perth last Sunday, leaving Kevin Muscat’s men at risk of slipping back out of the top six before the end of the round. Kosta Barbarouses marked his return from international duty with a fifth-minute screamer, but it wasn’t long before Daniel Georgievski equalised, with Joey Champness then adding to Andrew Nabbout’s brace to seal the result. Jets hold tight to the second spot, while Victory fall to the eighth in the ladder.

Melbourne City FC vs Perth Glory 

Perth Glory defeated 10-man Melbourne City 3-1 in a Friday night A-League contest which came precariously close to farce. Mitch Nichols, Xavi Torres and Mitchell Mallia scored the goals at AAMI Park, with reinstated City striker Ross McCormack replying with a stunning free kick. But a first-half video referee decision changed the match, with Osama Malik contentiously sent off for a late studs-up tackle on Glory youngster Jacob Italiano. Before Malik’s dismissal and Torres’ penalty conversion, the contest was evenly poised. McCormack’s set piece cancelled out Nichols’ 12th-minute opener in a match played at ferocious intensity and in a thunderstorm. There was yet more first-half drama. Andy Keogh was forced off with a leg injury and his coach Kenny Lowe became the first manager to receive a yellow card under the world-first A-League trial. But nothing had the impact of the VAR, which will face heated criticism after another game-changing intervention. Referee Daniel Elder originally missed the clash between Malik and Italiano, with the official upstairs suggesting the review. No one at City could believe the reversal – after a two-minute delay – and least of all Malik, who faces a lengthy ban after his second red card of the season. Warren Joyce led the protestations off the bench, with City’s players venting their frustration across the rest of the match. City battled valiantly to get back into the match. Joyce threw on Tim Cahill for the final 20 minutes as they chased the game and the veteran had the ball in the net on 73 minutes with a thumping volley, only to be deemed offside. Instead, substitute Mallia capitalised on Nick Fitzgerald’s unfortunate slip to score a breakaway one-on-one with seven minutes to go and secure the result. Melbourne City still on third spot, Perth Glory rises up to the fifth.

Wellington Phoenix vs Central Coast Mariners

Central Coast ended a five-year winless A-League run in Wellington, outplaying the Phoenix 4-1 on Saturday in a clinical display. Second-half strikes from Daniel De Silva, Andrew Hoole and Trent Buhagiar pushed out a 1-0 half-time lead from a Phoenix own-goal. A a Dario Vidosic header – his fourth of the season was Wellington’s only consolation. Phoenix still clinching to the bottom of the ladder, the Mariners move up to the sixth spot.

Sydney FC vs Brisbane Roar

David Carney’s strike in the 7th minute and Adrian Mierzejewski’s goal from the spot in the 15th minute, put Sydney 2-0 forward in the first half, before Roar defender Avraam Papadopoulos spat on striker Matthew Simon in the 75th minute leading to an ugly incident with both the players receiving red cards. Sebastian Ryall scored immediately after, with Jack Hingbert pulling back a consolation goal late into the injury time. Sydney still on top, Roar falls to the ninth spot in the ladder.

Adelaide United vs Western Sydney Wanderers

A goal in each half from Ryan Kitto helped steer Adelaide United to a 2-0 win over 10-man Western Sydney Wanderers at Coopers Stadium on Sunday night. The Reds also finished the match with 10 men with the VAR playing a significant role in shaping the contest, assisting in the expulsion of Robert Conrthwaite on 22 minutes and then Ben Garuccio in the closing stages. An incident-packed first half saw the VAR lead to Wanderers skipper Cornthwaite receiving his marching orders. United rises up to the 4th spot while Wanderers fall to the 7th in the table.