I-League: Indian Arrows vs Chennai City Match Report

0 64

Aniket Jadhav’s brace guides Arrows to first victory in I-League 2017-18

The Delhi-based side put into the domestic league structure by AIFF made a dream debut as they defeated southlanders Chennai City FC 3-0 at the GMC Athletic Stadium at Bambolim, Goa. Aniket Jadhav scored twice before Boris Singh’s first to ensure all three points for the youngsters.

Luis Norton de Matos started with Edmund Lalrindika, the only member of the India U19 squad in the first XI, as the lone striker in a 4-5-1. Anwar Ali and Jitendra Singh were the two centre-backs.

V Soundararajan had Jean Michael Joachim and Lucky Kelechukwa as the two forwards in a 4-4-2 formation with Veniamin Shumeiko and Dharmaraj Ravanan at the heart of the defence. He expected a lot from the Slovenian shot stopper Uros Poljanec, who wasn’t up to the mark today.

The visitors started on the front foot but were soon matched for pace by the Indian Colts as they started pulling together a few moves. The Arrows created their first opening in the 13th minute when Edmund found Jeakson on the left. The latter cut a pass back for Suresh Singh whose untamed shot rose above the framework.

The home team took the lead in the 21st minute. It all started from Boris Singh as he crossed the ball to Jadhav and the kid from Kolhapur curled it into the net with a deflection from CCFC’s stopper.

The main threat to De Matos’ side was Chennai City FC’s french striker Jean Michael Joachim. Jean had a shot on target which was saved by Dheeraj and he missed one from a close range after being set up by Pradeep Mohanraj.

Edmund missed an easy chance in the 28th minute, hitting the right post, trying to put the ball into the bottom corner. Another one of his shot was deflected by D. Ravanan for a corner in the 34th minute. Edmund was unlucky not to have his name on the scorer list today.

Chennai City FC could have equalised at the brink of half time, but it was again the French striker Joachim who hit Dheeraj’s gloves after getting the ball from Charles Anandraj. The teams went into the tunnel at half time with the home team leafing by a single goal.

The second half began well with the team in orange devastated by wave after wave of attacks by the Indian colts. Aniket Jadhav got his second goal soon with a calm finish after Edmund did all the hard work and squared a pass from the right flank in the 58th minute.

In the 63rd minute, Suresh Singh lobbed the ball to the India U-19 forward Edmund, but the latter missed it on a one on one situation, with Uros P. pulling off a stunning save and sending the ball out for a corner.

Just three minutes later, City’s Gurpreet Singh hit the crossbar from a free-kick. They did get a few chances but failed to capitalize in the opportunities.

As the game was winding down, Boris Singh piled the misery on a jaded Chennai City FC with a 90th minute goal as he strolled into the box and steered the ball. It was game set and the match for the Indian Arrows Colts and Aniket Jadhav was adjudged the Hero of the Match.