Indian Super League: Gameweek 1- Round up

0 19

As the first gameweek of the Hero Indian Super League comes to an end, LNTUP sums up all the matches played in the first round and the teams’ position in the league ladder.


Kerala Blasters 0-0 ATK

A new start to a new season, the Blasters looked upon this match as revenge after losing to the same in last season’s final match. But proceedings didn’t go as expected. Hoping to break down the Kolkata defense at the beginning of the match, the team in yellow started attacking from the beginning. But not for long, Teddy Sheringham’s team caught their tactics and stopped them right there. The rest of the match was somewhat rough with ATK having a greater part of ball possession than the home team. ATK came close to the goal for a few times but failed to score, and the opening match ended in a goalless stalemate.


North East United FC 0-0 Jamshedpur FC

NorthEast United FC and ISL newbies Jamshedpur FC played out a 0-0 draw in the second match of ISL season 4 at the Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium, Guwahati on Saturday. The home side started dominating the proceedings right from the word go. They attacked in numbers and kept on building pressure in the opponent’s box. Steve Coppell put Andre Bikey into the midfield replacing Mehtab Hossain in the 70th minute, but he was sent off by a direct red card on the 77th minute. Jamshedpur concentrated on defending after Bikey was sent off. The home side created quite a few chances in the dying moments of the match but were unlucky not to find the back of the net.

Chennaiyin FC 2-3 FC Goa

FC Goa start their ISL 4 campaign on a high as they beat Chennaiyin FC away from home. Ferran Corominas, Manuel Lanzarote and Mandar Rao Desai scored for the Gaurs in the first half. Inigo Calderon and Raphael Augusto scored two goals for the home side in the second half. The game got off to a positive start with the home team pressing high and earning a couple of half chances, which were dealt with well by the FC Goa defence. The game soon settled into what many expected it to be with FC Goa controlling possession and trying to work their way forward. The game proceeded as FC Goa took a 3-0 lead with the home team later coming back and making it 3-2, but it wasn’t enough as the away team took back all possible points home.

Bengaluru FC 2-0 Mumbai City FC

On a noisy night at the Kanteerava Stadium, Bengaluru FC (BFC) began life in the Indian Super League (ISL) in style, beating 2016 table-toppers Mumbai City FC 2-0. From the beginning to the end, it was Bengaluru all the way with 62% ball possession, creating a number of chances, while Mumbai City FC didn’t have a single shot on target. Although the first half stayed goalless, the home team pounced upon their opponent and it was Edu Garcia who scored their first goal in the Hero Indian Super League. As the match progressed towards the end, Bengaluru FC came close to the goal but couldn’t increase the lead, until captain Sunil Chhetri stood up at the third minute of second half injury time to make it 2-0.

FC Pune City 2-3 Delhi Dynamos FC

Going into a fluent start in their first National League match this season, Delhi Dynamos were ready to tear apart FC Pune City away from home. Continuous attacks by the Dynamos from the beginning saw them come close to take the lead, but they failed to score in the first half. It was Paulinho Dias who scored the first goal at the starting minute of the second half, before Lallianzuala Chhante and Matias Mirajabe scored on the 54th and 65th minute to make it 3-0 for the away side. As soon as they scored their third goal, the home team scored their first via Emiliano Alfaro in the 67th minute. As the match progressed it was all clear that Dynamos will take back all points home, though Marcos Tebar scored a second for Pune in the last minute of second half injury time.