A-League Round up: Matchweek 3

0 13

As matchweek 3 comes to an end, it was a challenge for some clubs to maintain their momentum, and for the others to do better than the start.  It was an action-packed matchweek with very crucial and shocking results.

Melbourne City FC continue with their winning streak with a single goal win over a struggling Wellington Phoenix team. A thunderous free kick from loanee striker Ross McCormack has ensured Melbourne City’s 100 percent start to the A-League season continued at the expense of Wellington Phoenix. The away team came close to scoring 2 times in the match, but could not salvage anything from the chances, and took nothing back from Melbourne. The club from Wellington dropped to the 8th position in the league ladder with 1 point from 3 games, whereas City held their position at top with all possible points.

The other club from Melbourne travelled about 650 kilometres to Adelaide and salvaged a single point from an action-packed 2-2 encounter. Adelaide United striker Vince Lia stole the show with a classy double in between goals from Besart Berisha and Mitch Austin. But all the show was for a single point from home. United held their position at the 5th place with 5 points from 3 games as Melbourne Victory progressed to the seventh place with 1 point from 3 games.

The Sydney derby maybe was the best game of this round with the home team Sydney FC salvaging one point from it. It was a heart fought draw for them, where as Western Sydney Wanderers lost 2 points from a two-goal cushion. Oriol Riera and Brendan Hamill put the Wanderers 2-0 ahead at the 30th minute. But a foul by Chris Herd on David Carney, saw Sydney get a penalty that was netted home by star striker Bobo. The second half was all about Sydney FC, but they were failing to find the net every time, until a strong shot from Joshua Brilliante in the 61st minute went home taking a deflection from the Wanderers defender. Sydney FC dropped to the third place after losing their first points, while the Wanderers maintained their position at 4th place.

Brisbane Roar lost all three points at home against Newcastle Jets in almost a Jets-all-the-way match at the Suncorp Stadium. The Jets went forward in the 12th minute after a goal from Roy O’Donovan, but an own goal from Jets defender Nigel Boogaard saw Brisbane equalise. Brisbane were celebrating and did not concentrate on the game as Newcastle took full advantage and Dimitri Petratos scored the minute the game started(44′) after the goal.

Brisbane Roar is still at the bottom with no points from 3 games and a goal difference of -4. On the other hand, rivals Newcastle Jets moved up all the way to the 2nd place under Melbourne City FC, with 7 points from 3 matches.


In the match between Perth Glory and Central Coast Mariners, a goal from Wout Brama in the 14th minute saw Mariners take a lead of 1-0. Since the goal, it seemed Perth Glory lost all their concentration and the Perth Oval(nIB stadium) saw a rake of attacks from Mariners. At after an hour it seemed that Mariners would go ahead scoring four or five times against the home team. But a sudden long ball from Perth defender Joseph Mills saw a cross from Taggart come from the right and Andy Keogh heading it home, equalising for the hosts. The next minute, the Mariners came close to take the lead again, but an amazing save from the Glory keeper denied them. Again in the 85th minute another long ball from the same man Joseph Mills saw Adam Taggart breaking the offside trap and reaching the ball and scoring on a one-on-one situation against the helpless Mariners keeper to make it 2-1 for Glory.

Perth Glory maintained their position at the 6th place with 4 points from 3 games, where as Central Coast Mariners dropped to the 9th place with 1 point from 3 games.