Jadon Sancho’s second-half brace and a late goal from substitute Angel Gomes helped England to a 4-0 win over Chile in Group F :

0 18

England took an early lead through Callum Hudson-Odoi in the fifth minute. Sancho made it 2-0 in the 51st minute, tapping in from close range after Chile failed to clear a cross from the right. He doubled his tally in the 60th, getting at the end of George McEachran’s cross from the right with a side-footed finish past the keeper.

Chile, who failed to register a single shot on target in the game, went down to 10 men in the 79th minute when Julio Borquez was shown a straight red. Gomes, who came on for Hudson-Odoi in the 67th minute, made it 4-0 from the resulting set piece with a superb free-kick from the edge of the box.

England coach Steve Cooper did not start with Manchester United’s Angel Gomes but still completely dominated the first half with overwhelming 70 per cent possession.

Sancho, who recently joined Borussia Dortmund from Manchester City, was also involved in England’s opening goal, weaving his way through the Chile box from the left to set up Hudson Odoi.

England could have doubled their lead in the 19th minute but Rhian Brewster missed a sitter from close distance.

Chile keeper Borquez’s nightmarish day ended in the 79th minute when he was sent off for a harsh challenge on Brewster. Chile, who had already made three substitutions, were forced to ask midfielder Branco Provoste to take charge under the goalpost.

England looked to be in control of the game after the goal with Brewster coming terribly close to doubling the lead for England around the 19-minute mark.
Chile had their first real chance of the game in the 36th minute when Maximiliano Guerrero attempted an ambitious long-range shot which ended up sailing over the crossbar.
The English put up a solid show in the first half and enjoyed a lion’s share of the possession. Sancho, Brewster and Odoi proved to be a constant threat for them going forward.
The first half came to an end with England leading 1-0.
The second half got underway with the English starting brightly yet again. In the 50th minute, Dortmund youngster Sancho doubled their lead as goalkeeper Julio Borquez failed to clear the ball when in possession.
Only 10 minutes later Jadon Sancho went on to bag his second goal of the game. A solo run from George McEachran who dribbled past three defenders at the edge of the penalty box found Sancho unmarked on the left side who calmly slotted the ball into the back of the net.
Manchester United star Angel Gomes came on later in the game and slotted himself into the midfield. Things went from bad to worse for Chile as in the 79th-minute goalkeeper Julio Borquez was sent off for committing a harsh challenge on Brewster. Chile had already made three changes by then and thus midfielder Branco Provoste took charge in between the stick.
The resulting free-kick for England was converted by Angel Gomes, giving England a comfortable four-goal win over Chile.
England will now take on Mexico and Chile will lock horns against Iraq on October 11.