Everton vs Burnley Match Preview
Premier League Match Preview: Everton vs Burnley
Everton will look to reverse their indifferent start to the Premier League season when Burnley visit Goodison Park, live on Super Sunday.
Ronald Koeman admitted his team looked “scared” during their disappointing 2-2 draw with Apollon in the Europa League on Thursday. Back in the Premier League, despite making significant investment in the summer Everton have taken just seven points from their opening six games.
However, Everton have won 11 of their last 13 Premier League home games in 2017 (L2) – no other top-flight side has won more at home.
Burnley won’t be fazed by their trip to Goodison Park after taking nine points from their first half dozen matches. Five of those points have come on the road, including a victory at Chelsea and a draw at Wembley with Tottenham.
The Toffees put a stop to their run of three consecutive Premier League defeats last weekend, beating Bournemouth 2-1 at Goodison Park.
Oumar Niasse was the unlikely saviour for the hosts, coming off the bench to score two late goals. Niasse’s expulsion from the first-team last season make his heroics even more remarkable.
Everton head into the match 14th in the table, two points and five places behind Burnley. To be fair to Ronald Koeman’s side, their three league defeats this season did come at the hands of Chelsea, Spurs and Manchester United.
The Toffees were held to a 2-2 draw by 10-man Apollon in the Europa League on Thursday night – a result that heaps a little more pressure on Ronald Koeman.
The Clarets were held to a 0-0 draw against Huddersfield last time out. Burnley’s only win in their last five was a 1-0 victory against bottom side Crystal Palace.
While Burnley may not be in the hottest form, Everton will be wary of the fact that Sean Dyche’s side have already picked up points against Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool.
Date: Sunday, 1st October 2017
Time : 14:15 UK/ 15:15 CET / 18:45 IST.
Venue: Goodison Park (Liverpool).
TV Broadcast: Star Sports Select 1/ HD 1(India)
Live Streaming Link: www.Ronaldo7.net
- Michael Keane is likely to return from an ankle problem to face his former club.
- Phil Jagielka is expected to miss out again with a hamstring injury.
- The Toffees have a significant list of long-term injury absentees, of which James McCarthy is the closest to a return.
- Yannick Bolasie is around a month away from full-training following a lengthly knee injury.
- Also on the sidelines are Ramiro Funes Mori, Seamus Coleman and Ross Barkley.
- Jonathan Walters has a knee problem and is a doubt for Sunday.
- Dean Marney is targeting a November return following a knee injury, while Nahki Wells won’t return before the upcoming international break.
- Tom Heaton is a long-term absentee having recently undergone shoulder surgery, meaning Nick Pope will start in goal once more.
Everton vs Burnley: Head-to-head
- Last season, the teams won their respective home games, Everton 3-1 and Burnley 2-1.
- None of their six Premier League meeting saw a stalemate, Everton won 4 time with the remaining two ended in Burnley’s favour.
- The Toffees can also boast of a 100% win record against Burnley in English Premier League fixtures.
Everton vs Burnley: Prediction
Everton will have the confidence to get a positive result after finishing strongly against Bournemouth last week. Yet, their inability to create enough scoring chances could dent their chances here. Especially when Burnley are a team that sit deep and defend in games away from home. Also, the visitors had already bagged points from their three away games, all coming against elite teams in the league.
So, there is every chance for this match to end in a stalemate, which could eventually end Everton’s three match winning run at home against the Clarets.