Burnley holds LFC to a 1-1 draw

0 18

Liverpool 1 (Salah 30’) – 1 Burnley (Arnold 27’)

After getting demolished 5-0 by Manchester City in their last Premier League match, this encounter against Burnley almost felt like a must win game for The Reds.

Jurgen Klopp’s men got off to a flying start in the season, but have been disappointing in the last few matches. The Reds also had a draw against Sevilla mid week in UEFA Champions League, in a match that could have been easily won by Kloop’s team.

The Reds got off to a solid start in this match, an early chance for Daniel Sturridge after a low cross from left back Robertson but the English striker couldn’t connect his shot and the ball was safely in the arms of Nick Pope.

Minutes later The Reds got another good chance via Alexander Arnold, who took the shot on his left foot but it went wide of the post. In the 21st minute Liverpool got a great chance to get the opening goal, Sturridge dropped in a brilliant cross but Salah headed the ball over the cross bar from almost six yards out.

Liverpool at one stage had 80% of the possession but still had to pay for all of their misses. Six minutes later, Burnley took the lead via Scott Arfield after terrible defending from the Reds. Chris Wood won the ball inside the box and Arnold shot the ball from 15 yards out to give his team the lead. 1-0 to The Clarets.

However, it did not take long for Liverpool FC to equalize. Just three minutes later, Salah makes a brilliant touch to receive a long ball from Emre Can and creates room for his shot. The Egyptian then puts the ball in the Burnley net and makes the score 1-1.
At 42 minutes Liverpool came close once again, a good through ball by Coutinho to Sturridge whose shot only found the side netting.

Liverpool attacker still did not rest with three minutes remaining on the clock of the first half. The Reds had six players inside the Burnley and gave The Clarets a terrible time, but the score remained 1-1 as the half ended.

The second half began in similar fashion with LFC on the attack; Phillipe Coutinho came close twice but put the ball over the bar. Emre Can was next to try his luck, but his shot was easily saved by Pope.

At the hour mark, Pope was once again called into action this time by Sturridge whose low powerful shot was kept out by the Burnley keeper.

At the 81st minute Burnley got two chances to score, the first falling to Ben Mee whose header was headed over the line by Matip. Another corner and this time it was saved by Mignolet. Liverpool came close to getting the lead in the 86th minute, but Dominick Solanke’s shot was kept out by the woodwork.

The match ended 1-1 as a frustrating evening for Liverpool came to an end, who now find themselves at seventh position with eight points. Meanwhile, Sean Dyche’s men find themselves in sixth position with eight points as well.