Gotze preparing for a comeback under the guidance of Peter Bosz
New Borussia Dortmund coach Peter Bosz has said he will manage Mario Gotze’s return to action carefully as he fears the Germany midfielder could be at risk of a setback after five months on the sidelines.
Götze was ruled out for the remainder of the 2016-17 season in late February due to myopathy. For an athlete, myopathy could prove to be extremely problematic as it causes increased weakness and fatigue in the muscles, which means Götze will struggle to recover physically after each performance.
Happy to play ⚽️ again pic.twitter.com/OiIlRhTYlW
— Mario Götze ⭐️️ (@MarioGoetze) July 15, 2017
Götze’s underwhelming performance in 2016/17 may be an outfall of this rare “metabolic disorder”. In the 2016/17 campaign, he made just 16 appearances and had an underwhelming tally of two goals and two assists.
But five months on and the World Cup finale goal-scorer was back training and building up his fitness levels ahead of the new Bundesliga season.
Last month, Götze was included in Dortmund’s pre-season squad and the 25-year-old received his first game time since diagnosis, and Bosz has been pleased with what he has seen of Gotze so far.
“As a football aficionado, it is really great fun to see him at work. Mario is a very good player, but we need to be careful with him: if you have been absent for five months, it is not possible to make up for that within five weeks. There might be a setback, but up to now things are going really well for him, and we’ve agreed that he will win more minutes against Atalanta Bergamo on Tuesday,” the former Ajax boss told reporters at the club’s summer training camp in Switzerland.