Monaco sign young Dutch defender from Feyenoord
Netherlands defender Terence Kongolo joins Monaco from Feyenoord on a five-year deal
The 23-year-old made 23 Eredivisie appearances last season as Feyenoord claimed the title for the first time in 18 years.
Ligue 1 champions Monaco have reportedly paid €13 million (£11.41m) for Kongolo, the 23-year old can be deployed at left-back or in central defence.
— AS Monaco??? (@AS_Monaco) July 3, 2017
He told the club’s official website:
“I am very pleased to join AS Monaco. I will discover an exciting new challenge at a prestigious and ambitious club.
“I look forward to meeting the staff, my new team-mates and doing the best on the field to help the group.”
The arrival of Terence Kongolo will increase the speculations about Benjamin Mendy’s future at the club, as the left-back is heavily linked with Manchester City.
Monaco's signing of Feyenoord defender Terence Kongolo could trigger Benjamin Mendy's protracted £39m move to Manchester City. [Daily Mail] pic.twitter.com/reuxO0Qket
— TransferNewsCentral (@TransferNewsCen) July 4, 2017
Vadim Vasilyev, the general manager at Monaco, said about Kongolo:
“We believe very much in his potential and we are convinced that he will find in Monaco the conditions to flourish here.”
Terence Kongolo had been linked with the likes of Everton and Bayer Leverkusen following his impressive displays at De Kuip. But Monaco won the race by successfully securing his services.