EFL Cup first-round fixtures announced
Relegated Sunderland travel to League One club Bury FC.
The English Football League on Friday confirmed the first round fixtures of the 2017-18 EFL Cup.
Currently known as the Carabao Cup for sponsorship reason, the draw took place in Bangkok where the company headquarter is based.
There are 12 former champions in the first round, with five-time winners Aston Villa and four-time winners Nottingham Forest.
Villa will face League Two side Colchester United while Forest host League One club Shrewsbury Town.
Recently promoted to the Football League, Forest Green Rovers play MK Dons at home while Sunderland start life in the first round with a tie against Bury.
The full draw for the first round is as follows:
- Coventry City vs. Blackburn Rovers
- Nottingham Forest vs. Shrewsbury Town
- Bradford City vs. Doncaster Rovers
- Leeds United vs. Port Vale
- Mansfield Town vs. Rochdale AFC
- Grimsby Town vs. Derby County
- Barnsley vs. Morecambe
- Oldham Athletic vs. Burton Albion
- Wigan Athletic vs. Blackpool
- Bury vs. Sunderland AFC
- Sheffield Wednesday vs. Chesterfield
- Accrington Stanley vs. Preston North End
- Fleetwood Town vs. Carlisle United
- Rotherham United vs. Lincoln City
- Sheffield United vs. Walsall
- Scunthorpe United vs. Notts County
- Crewe Alexandra vs. Bolton Wanderers
- Birmingham City vs. Crawley Town
- Exeter City vs. Charlton Athletic
- Queens Park Rangers vs. Northampton Town
- Newport County vs. Southend United
- Bristol City vs. Plymouth Argyle
- Cardiff City vs. Portsmouth FC
- Millwall vs. Stevenage
- Oxford United vs. Cheltenham Town
- AFC Wimbledon vs. Brentford FC
- Norwich City vs. Swindon Town
- Bristol Rovers vs. Cambridge United
- Peterborough United vs. Barnet
- Wycombe Wanderers vs. Fulham
- Colchester United vs. Aston Villa
- Wolverhampton Wanderers (Wolves) vs. Yeovil Town
- Reading FC vs. Gillingham
- Forest Green Rovers vs. MK Dons
- Luton Town vs. Ipswich Town
All the 35 ties will be played in the week commencing Monday, 7 August.
There were some confusion after the draw. A list of fixtures displayed on the stream showed Charlton drawn against two clubs, while AFC Wimbledon were also wrongly recorded as being at home to Swindon Town whereas actually Wimbledon were at home to Brentford, and Swindon would have been away to Norwich City. Forest Green were also listed as being away to Wolves, who were actually drawn at home to Yeovil Town.
Added to that, the live video stream commenced with no sound and suddenly crashed immediately after the first club, Birmingham City, were drawn out of the hat.
“The EFL would like to apologise for a number of third party technical issues that affected coverage of this afternoon’s Carabao Cup Round One draw in Bangkok.”
“There were inaccuracies as a result of human error in the live graphics output, which resulted in confusion and incorrect ties being displayed on screen.”