Manchester United vs Celta Vigo Match Preview
Jose Mourinho reported no new injury concerns for Manchester United as his side look to secure a place in the Europa League final.
The Premier League club already have a 1-0 advantage in the tie thanks to Marcus Rashford’s strike in the first leg at the Balaidos last Thursday.
It also gives United a potentially crucial away goal heading into the second leg as they eye a spot in the Stockholm showpiece on May 24.
Marouane Fellaini is available for United as his suspension only applies to domestic matches, while Antonio Valencia trained on the eve of the game having missed Sunday’s defeat at Arsenal.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic is out with a long-term knee injury, while Marcos Rojo (knee), Luke Shaw (foot) and Tim Fosu-Mensah (shoulder) will be sidelined for the rest of the season along with Ashley Young (hamstring).
Celta manager Eduardo Berizzo will be given an injury boost with the return of Pablo Hernandez – known as Tucu – who has been cleared by medical staff for selection.
Berizzo should have a full strength side at his disposal with only long-term absentee Giuseppe Rossi expected to miss out as he continues his injury rehabilitation in the US.
- Manchester United’s 1-0 win in the first leg was the first time these sides had ever faced one another in European competition. This is also the first time that Celta Vigo have reached the semi-final stage of a UEFA Cup/Europa League campaign, they had been eliminated at the quarter-final stage three times previously.
- Manchester United have progressed from all 18 of their European knockout ties in which they won the first leg away from home (including qualifiers).
- The Spanish club’s five-game unbeaten run came to an end in the first leg (W4 D1); United however come into this game on a nine-match unbeaten streak in the Europa League (W7 D2).
- Celta Vigo have scored in all six of their matches on the road so far in the 2016/17 Europa League campaign; three of their last four such fixtures have ended in 0-2 wins for the Spanish side.
- Marcus Rashford has scored in back-to-back Europa League appearances for Manchester United; failing to score in nine games in the competition prior to this.
- Sergio Romero has kept more clean sheets than any other goalkeeper in the Europa League this season (7); he has recorded the best save percentage of anyone to make 10+ saves in this Europa League campaign (89%).
Manchester United vs Celta Vigo will be shown live on BT Sport 2 and Ten Network in India from 7:30pm on Thursday May 11 .
Kick-off from Old Trafford is at 8:05pm BST,12:15 a.m IST.
PREDICTED LINE UP
Manchester United likely XI
• Defenders:Valencia, Bailly, Blind, Darmian
• Midfielders:Pogba, Herrera, Fellaini
• Forwards:Martial, Lingard, Rashford
Celta Vigo likely XI
• Defenders:Mallo, Roncaglia, Cabral, Jonny
• Defensive Midfielders:Hernandez, Radoja
• Attacking Midfielders:Aspas, Wass, Sisto