Southampton vs Arsenal Match Preview
Arsene Wenger takes his Arsenal side to St Mary’s on Wednesday as the Gunners look to carry on pushing for a top four finish.
This game could be huge for Wenger’s future with a defeat surely ending their top four chances.
They beat Manchester United on Sunday and will be desperate not to slip up against Southampton.The Saints currently sit in a mid table position and will be hoping to finish in the top 10 again.
The Gunners cannot afford to drop any more points in the race for the top four after their win over Manchester United on Sunday.
Matt Targett, who played alongside Austin in Southampton’s U23s on Friday, could return from a hamstring problem.
Defender Virgil van Dijk (ankle) and back-up goalkeeper Alex McCarthy (hamstring) remain on the sidelines.
Granit Xhaka limped out of the win over Manchester United but should be fit to face Southampton.
Lucas Perez is also available following a thigh problem but Shkodran Mustafi (thigh) and Santi Cazorla (Achilles) remain sidelined.
- January 2017 – Southampton 0-5 Arsenal
- November 2016 – Arsenal 0-2 Southampton
- September 2016 Arsenal 2-1 Southampton
- February 2016 – Arsenal 0-0 Southampton
- December 2015 – Southampton 4-0 Arsenal
- Southampton are looking to win three consecutive home league matches against Arsenal for the first time since 1985.
- Arsenal are winless in their five previous away visits to St Mary’s in the Premier League, last winning there in December 2003 (D3 L2).
- Wenger has won only 25% of his Premier League games at St. Mary’s (two of eight) as opposed to 60% at the Dell (three of five).
- However, the Gunners did beat Southampton 5-0 away in the fourth round of the FA Cup this season. Theo Walcott scored a hat-trick in that match, while Danny Welbeck got the other two.
- Shane Long scored twice the last time Southampton hosted Arsenal in the Premier League, a 4-0 rout on Boxing Day 2015.
- Wenger’s side have lost five of their last six away Premier League games – the same number they’d lost in their previous 27 on the road in the competition.
- Southampton have failed to score in three of their last four home Premier League, the exception being a 3-1 win over Crystal Palace.
- Manolo Gabbiadini scored four goals in his first three Premier League appearances (248 mins), but since then he’s failed to score and attempted just one shot on target in 306 Premier League minutes (five apps).
- Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has provided seven assists for Arsenal in the Premier League, including two in his last match against Manchester United. This is the same total as his previous five seasons combined with Arsenal.
Date: Wednesday, May 10
Time: 7:45 p.m. (BST), 2:45 p.m. (ET),12:15 a.m (IST).
TV Info: NBC Sports (U.S.),Sky Sports(UK), Stars Sports Select HD1 (IND)
Live Stream: NBC Sports App (U.S.),JIO TV (INDIA)
Southampton: Fraser Forster; Cedric Soares, Jack Stephens, Maya Yoshida, Ryan Bertrand; OriolRomeu, James Ward-Prowse, Steven Davis; Dusan Tadic, Nathan Redmond, Manolo Gabbiadini
Arsenal: Petr Cech; Rob Holding, Laurent Koscielny, Nacho Monreal; Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Francis Coquelin, Aaron Ramsey, Kieran Gibbs; Mesut Ozil, Alexis Sanchez, Danny Welbeck
Prediction: Southampton 1-2 Arsenal