Juventus vs Monaco Match Preview
Juventus host AS Monaco in the second leg of the UEFA Champions League semi-final on Tuesday, with one foot already in the final after a 2-0 win in France last week.
A Gonzalo Higuain brace gave the Bianconeri a comfortable cushion after the first leg, and the Serie A giants should finish the job at Juventus Stadium in Turin.
Monaco’s only hope is their own ability to get goals in bunches, although even a team as free-scoring as this one will struggle to break down Juve’s savvy defence.
Juventus have no new injury concerns and Sami Khedira is available again after missing the first leg through suspension.
The German will compete for a midfield spot with Claudio Marchisio and Miralem Pjanic, with the duo both starting in France last week.
For Monaco, they still have a doubt over left-back Benjamin Mendy, who missed the first leg and the weekend win at Nancy.
- This is the second time these sides have met in a Champions League semi-final – Juventus securing their passage to the final with a 6-4 aggregate victory 19 years ago, before losing to Real Madrid in the final (1997-98).
- After failing to reach the last four of the Champions League from 2003-04 to 2013-14, Juventus have now made the semis for the second time in the past three seasons.
- The Turin club has systematically reached the final in five of its six previous Champions League semis.
- Monaco have reached the Champions League semis for the fourth time after 1993-94, 1997-98 and 2003-04.
- No other French team has made the last four more than once.
- Juventus, alongside Real Madrid, are the only unbeaten team in this season’s Champions League (W8 D3).
- None of the two goals conceded by Juventus in this season’s Champions League have come from open play (11 games).
- Gonzalo Higuain scored two goals in the first leg, as many as in his previous 24 Champions League knockout games. With five goals this season, it’s already the most prolific campaign of his career in the competition.
- Falcao and Mbappe have scored 10 of Monaco’s past 16 Champions League goals. In the first leg, Mbappe failed to find the net for the first time after having started a game in the competition.
Date: Tuesday, May 9
Time: 7:45 p.m. BST. 2:45 p.m. ET.12:15 p.m IST.
TV Info: BT Sport 2. Fox Sports 1.Ten Network(in India).
Live Stream: BT Sport App. Fox Soccer 2GO
PREDICTED LINE UP
JUVENTUS 3-4-2-1: Buffon; Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; Dani Alves, Khedira, Pjanic, Alex Sandro; Dybala, Mandzukic; Higuain
Injuries:Pjaca (knee), Rugani (fibula)
AS Monaco 4-4-2: Subasic; Sidibe, Jemerson, Glik, Mendy; Silva, Fabinho, Bakayoko, Lemar; Falcao, Mbappe
Injuries: Boschilia, Toure